Services And Programs
How do we provide a therapeutic environment?
The Akoma Family Centre is a residential facility that provides a safe and nurturing place for children age 3-13 with development and behavioural needs.
We have developed an innovative approach that blends Afri-Centric Trauma- Informed Care principles, with best practices in the Autism field.The main funding for the centre comes from the Department of Community Services (DCS). Additional funding comes from fundraising activities.
The main funding for the centre comes from the Department of Community Services (DCS). Additional funding comes from fundraising activities.
Our environment is designed to protect children’s health, and support their need for fresh air, play, sensory stimulation and proper nourishment. Only children in the care of the Department of Community Services can access our services. The children stay with us while their DCS social worker in collaboration with our Clinical Social Worker develop the best plan of care for the child to transition elsewhere.While this is occurring the children at the Akoma Family Centre receive:
- A safe structured environment which focuses on, consistency, social skills, routine based programming, structured and unstructured play activities, and developmentally appropriate practice techniques.
- Continued access to their primary caregiver, school or daycare placement if appropriate and possible.
- Medical and dental care.
- Care from qualified Youth Care Workers.
- Recreation and community based activities.
- Social Work intervention.
- Supportive Counseling.
- Crisis counseling.