The vision of the Akoma Family Centre is to provide responsive residential care, enhancing the health and well-being of children, youth and families.
The Akoma Family Centre provides residential services for children and youth with a range of programs that are dedicated to enhancing their wellbeings.
PRIMARY AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment to siblings in the care of the province.
- To provide culturally appropriate programming.
- To provide programs that enhance healthy development of children, youth and families.
- To meet the needs of the resident as an individual.
- To assist in the development of healthy relationships between the child and their family and with co-residents.
- To develop partnerships that enhance services to African Nova Scotians and the general community.
The Akoma Family Centre provides contemporary, short-term care for children of all races and cultures. It is committed to maintaining a specialized facility sensitive to the needs of boys, girls, and families, and to Nova Scotia’s Black community.